26th August 2017 Bonnyrigg Rose v Lochee United

Bonnyrigg Rose led three nil at the break and looked long odds on to add more but, Lochee United turned things around to lead four three with ten minutes remaining. However, Rose showed just why they are one of the most successful Super League sides ever, and despite being down to ten men, snatched a dramatic equaliser with two minutes remaining. The men from Dundee were never three goals poorer in that first half but despite being second best, might well have been much closer at the break - a shocking miss by the visitors and a soft penalty against them - contributing to their position. 

After an impressive start to the new season which saw them go unbeaten in their first four fixtures, Lochee United came tumbling back down to earth when they conceded 5 at home to Linlithgow Rose last Saturday. The Dundee men finished fifth in the McBookie.com East SuperLeague last season and are undefeated on the road inthe league since the end of March. Bonnyrigg have started the season in good form, winning four and drawing one of their first five fixtures and have still to concede a goal. Rose have the Indian sign over Lochee in recent times and usually beat them comfortably, so they went into this game in confident mood. 


Rose fielded yet another changed back four as they sought to maintain their impressive defensive record. 


The game kicked off on a fine late summer's afternoon before a decent crowd but took a while to get going with neither side creating much early on. The first danger came after 9 minutes when a Gray cross hit McGachie before slipping just wide. However, the opening goal was delayed for just a minute. A fine McGachie through ball put KIDD in and he finished confidently. Rose were starting to dominate and stroking the ball around well. 

However after 17 minutes Lochee should have equalised. Deasley fired in a terrific shot which Young did well to parry. The ball came back out to Deasley, and with the goal at his mercy he somehow headed wide - a shocking miss!!

After that let off Rose nearly doubled their advantage. McIntosh fired in a shot on the turn and despite beating Stewart in the United goal, Whitehead got back to head the ball off the line. Minutes later McIntosh saw the visiting keeper off his line and although he beat the keeper, the ball came back off the cross bar. Half way through the half a Millar error let Gray in but he shot wide. 

Lochee' response was a fine run and shot by Lawson but his well struck shot was just wide of Young's far post. 

With 25 minutes played Rose doubled their lead. Good interplay between Gray and BROWN  let the latter in, and he finished well into the far corner. 

Two minutes later and United went further behind. Horne played a delightful ball down the left to McIntosh who slid the ball into the box for McGachie, who went down under a challenge. Referee Colin Whyte surprisingly pointed to the spot. KIDD stepped forward and beat Stewart with a well struck penalty - a second counter for the tall midfielder. 

With 39 minutes played Rose should have made the lead four. A Currie free kick wasn't cleared. Kidd turned the ball onto the post and then McIntosh fired over off the bar with the goal gaping and Moyes ready to score. 

Rose went in three up at the break but Lochee had given a fair account of themselves and with a little more poise in front of goal and a little luck, might well have been closer. However they looked likely to be on a damage limitation exercise in the second half with Rose the better side although looking a little suspect at the back. 

Half Time: Bonnyrigg Rose 3 Lochee United 0


United came out with a real sense of purpose in the second half and a Moyes mistake gave McNally a shooting chance, but he hit it straight at Young in the home goal - however it was warning and worse was to come. 

After 52 minutes, McNally was again in the thick of it and his looping header from a deep cross struck the bar, with Young stranded. However, Lochee were only denied a few minutes and after 55 minutes pulled a goal back. They won a free kick thirty yards out on the right and CAMERON struck a tremendous shot past Young. 

Rose went straight down the other end from the restart and Kidd was denied a hat trick when his header was cleared off the line by Millar. 

There was hardly time to draw breath for the fans and a minute later Lochee were right back in the game. They intercepted a pass in midfield and DEASLEY ran in and grabbed their second. 

Rose looked rattled and on the hour Cameron shot over from range. 

United sensed they were in with a chance and brought Deane, a big target man, on for the tiring Lunan - clearly hoping that fresh legs and the physical presence of the substitute would get them an equalise. The ploy nearly worked quickly and the sub chipped just wide after 64 minutes. 

Lochee were dominating the midfield and creating openings and looking the more likely to score again. After 74 minutes they were level. Again it was a penalty and like the earlier one a soft one. DEASLEY was the player who went over and he got up and gave Young no chance from the spot. 

Rose were struggling now and their situation worsened after 76 minutes. McIntosh tangled with a defender. There seemed to be a handball by the Lochee defender as the players collided, but referee Whyte produced a second yellow, then a red for the Rose striker.  

Deane hit a free kick off the bar minutes later as the home defence looked distinctly creaky. 

Kidd tried another effort from range which was again cleared off the line as the home side tried to get going again. 

With ten minutes remaining Lochee took the lead. Whitehead cracked a terrific drive off the bar from distance and DEANE was first to react to force the ball home - the turnaround was complete!!!

Rose were really struggling now but in their next attack Brett put in a fine cross. Nelson met it, but his effort struck his teammate McGachie. 

With time running out Rose pulled level. Goalkeeper Stewart rushed from his goal to meet a through ball and took out a Bonnyrigg player. The referee sent the goalkeeper off and from the resultant free kick,  CURRIE fired past sub Goalkeeper Fotheringham. 


Both sides will feel they should have won but will also feel that they did well to end up with a valuable point. Lochee showed great fighting spirit to come back  from three goals down as did Rose to grab the late equaliser. It was a game with everything - yellow and red cards, great goals, good football, mistakes, glaring missed chances,contentious refereeing calls and real drama and the the final outcome was in doubt until right to the end. Kidd and Brown did well for Rose and Lawson,  Deasley and sub Deane were best for the visitors. 


Next up for both sides are away ties in the D J Laing East of Scotland Cup, Rose visit Dundee Norh End while Lochee go to Fife to face Lochgelly Albert. 


 Full Time Bonnyrigg Rose 4; Lochee United 4 

Bonnyrigg Rose
Young, Brett, Brown,Kidd, Moyes, Horne, Gray, Currie, McIntosh, Nelson and McGachie  Subs Martyniuk, Turner, McConnell, Jamieson and Andrews

Lochee United

Stewart, Webster, Kirk, Lunan, Whitehead, Cameron, Ritchie, Lawson, Deasley, McNally and Millar  Subs :Fotheringham,Montgomery, Birse, McMahon and Deane.


Referee  Colin Whyte

Assistant Referees  Fiona Morton and Emma Hingant 


Gordon Baird

Neutral Reporter 



Written on 26 August 2017