8th February 2020 Lochee Quest Goes On

Lochee United came through a very testing Quest Engineering cup tie today against Banchory St Ternan. Despite being in front on two occasions Banchory hit back to level the match and take it into penalties.

A very well taken back post header by Danny Millar on twenty minutes put the Chee ahead. Nobody would have begrudged Lochee the lead at that time as we had domintaed play.The goal came after Bryan Deasley had been chopped down on the edge of the box. Deasley then went off with a bad ankle injury. Danny Cavanagh then swung in a perfect cross which Danny Millar met at the back post to put Lochee 1-0 up.
Lochee continued to threaten the visitors goal with only some really good goalkeeping and back luck preventing Lochee adding to their lead.

With the halftime whistle approaching Lochee were stunned when Banchory equalised with a well struck effort into the bottom left hand corner giving Lochee goalie John Sinclair no chance. Sinclair up to that point had been a virtual spectator.

Despite Lochee dominating the first half we dropped our level of perfomance and struggled at times to put the vistors under pressure. The conditions had changed with a very strong wind blowing all over the park but both teams had to contend with that.

The vistors had a goal disallowed for hand ball but on another day it might have stood. This kicked the Bluebells into gear and we tested the Banchory keeper on a couple of occasions before we scored our second goal.

With eight minutes remaining Greg Kirk rose at the back post to head home a fanatstic goal to put Lochee 2-1 up. He was then subbed due to an ankle knock.

Banchory then grabbed their second equaliser of the match two minutes later after Lochee failed to clear a harmless ball into the goalmouth.

Penalty kicks it was ! With both clubs scoring their first two penalties. Lochee United goalie gave us the advantage saving Banchory's third penalty. The next kicks all resulted in goals and Lochee having the last of the regualtion five kicks, missed the penalty to take it into sudden death.

Both keepers then pulled of good saves in the resulting kicks but John Sinclair in the Lochee goal pulled off a spectular save to give the Chee the edge.

Kevin Milne who returned to the squad after being out injured for the last couple of weeks had the huge task of converting his penalty and putting Lochee into the last eight of the competition.

He duly did was required and Lochee United now await Downfield in the quarter finals.

Well done both teams for producing a very exciting cup tie. All the best to Banchory for the rest of the season.

Written on 08 February 2020