With both teams scoring 15 goals between them last week this was unlikely to be a goalless draw and it took only five minutes for the first strike.

Amateur goalie Matty Smith was between the sticks for the home side. Incidentally, the third goalkeeper Lochee have used in successive games, and his first job was to pick the ball out of his net when ‘Bell centre half Colin WILSON hooked it home following a corner to the visitors.

That was a blow to Lochee but they recovered well and took the game to the Fifers. In the 13th minute a ball into the box saw Scott McComiskie go down under a challenge and, much to the annoyance of the away team, the ref pointed to the spot. Bryan DEASLEY stepped up to take the spot kick and duly despatched it past keeper Jim Lennox.

Dundonald hit back with a superb free kick into the Lochee box by full back Scott Durie but there were no takers as it flashed across goal.

Grant Lawson almost put the Bluebells 2-1 up but his effort just slid past the right hand post.

However, on 20 minutes the home side did take the lead. From a Dundonald attack Danny Millar headed clear and Connor Birse provided a perfect pass for DEASLEY to take in his stride and slot past the keeper.

Two minutes later a Dougie Cameron free kick almost landed at the feet of Greg Kirk but the keeper gathered at the second attempt.

At the other end a Ross Drummond free kick was parried into the path of Scottish junior internationalist Lewis McKenzie, but he shot wide.

Right on the stroke of half time the homesters increased their lead. Intense pressure on the Dundonald defence paid off when Kirk found BIRSE who guided the ball into the net.

Dundonald came out for the second half late, but fired up and they soon made tracks for the Lochee goal. Cameron survived a penalty appeal when the ball hit his hand but when a second penalty claim was also turned down it was too much for Dundonald, who had their manager sent off for his protests.

The Fife side clearly felt a sense of injustice and took the game to the home side. Debut keeper Smith brought off a terrific one-handed save from McKenzie as they fought to get back into the game.

Some indiscipline shone through however, as four of their players were booked, along with Lochee’s McComiskie in a tousy second half.

Lochee had either taken their foot off the gas in this half or were being pushed back by the visitors and most of the play took place in the home half.

Aarron Whitehead and Millar both had to come to the rescue with clearances to keep the lead intact.

Bluebell sub Barry Sibanda looked the most likely to get his side back into it and he had a great run along the edge of the Lochee box, but he just couldn’t get his shot away.

As the game wore on Lochee seemed content to see things out and substitutes Cammy McMahon and Paddy Deane came on for Kirk and Birse.

All in all a good win for Lochee United. Dundonald looked a talented outfit but seemed to allow perceived injustices to get in the way of playing the football they are undoubtedly capable of.

FT: Lochee United 3 Dundonald Bluebell 1

Lochee United: M Smith, Webster, Millar, Whitehead, McNally, McComiskie, Cameron, Kirk (McMahon 86), Lawson, Birse (Deane 83), Deasley. Subs not used: Montgomery, Buchan, C Smith.

Dundonald Bluebell: Lennox, Durie, Drummond, Forbes, Wilson, Moffat (Patrick 79), Meikle (Buchan 65), Lawrie (Sibanda 61), Smith, McKenzie, Gray. Subs not used: Mushet, Walton.

Written on 09 September 2017