Club History

Lochee United Football Club was first established in 1892 as a juvenile outfit and the team spent many of their early years operating as such.

They spent a short period of time as an amateur side just after the last war, before going on to establish themselves as a club in the then Dundee Junior Football Association, later to become the Tayside Region Junior Football Association.

Prior to 1959 the club had not had a permanent home ground and had played at a number of different venues over the years. However, things changed that year when they moved into their present home at Thomson Park, the ground being opened by the then Rangers captain George Young.

Having become established in the top division the "Bluebells" began to bring silverware to Thomson Park regularly from 1960. The late seventies started what proved to be a hugely successful decade for the club culminating in the winning of seventeen honours from 1977 to 1987.

This golden period ended in 1987 and Lochee United suffered the ignominy of relegation in 1993. Despite winning promotion back to the top division at the first attempt the club were not, until recently, in contention for any honours.

In recent years, the Bluebells fortunes have been on the up, and they have once again become one of the leading junior teams, winning the Tayside Premier League quite convincingly, and thus elevating themselves to the newly established East Region Super League. 

Lochee United finished 4th in the East Region Superleague in season 2003-04, winning the Fife & Tayside cup and North End Challenge cups along the way.

In season 2004-05 success continued with the team reaching the final of the O.V.D. Scottish Junior Cup but losing 2-0 to rivals Tayport, but became East Region Superleague Champions with winning the league.

The season of 2005-06 saw Lochee win silverwear in the form of the Fife & Tayside Cup, North & Tayside cup, North End Challenge cup and 2006-07 brought more cup sucess winning the DJ Laing cup.

The season 2007-08 saw Lochee United becoming East Super League Champions(pic below) for a second time, managed by ex-Dundee United and Nottingham Forest stalwart amongst other teams Ray McKinnon, and also winning the DJ Laing Cup and the Redwood Leisure Cup to complete another fantastic season.

For winning the East Region SuperLeague, Lochee were awarded a place in the Scottish FA Cup and created history by becoming the first Dundee JuniorLeague team to qualify for Scottish football's most illustrious knock-out tournament. Lochee were awarded a home tie against fellow Junior outfit Bathgate Thistle, who qualified by winning the Junior Scottish Cup, in the 1st Round. Winning that game comfortably by a scoreline of 3-1 Lochee were in the hat for the 2nd Round with the SFA doing the draw live at Thomson Park, Lochee were again drawn at home this time to Highland League outfit Buckie Thistle. Disposing of Buckie Thistle by a scoreline of 3-0 Lochee were in the hat for the 3rd round. Again Lochee were drawn at home, this time to tougher opposition in Scottish 2nd Division side Ayr United.

After 5 postponements due to the winter weather this game finally went ahead on 17th Dec 2008 at Thomson Park where Lochee forced a draw after levelling the match with 4 minutes remaining, 1-1 and thus faced a replay at Somerset Park, home of Ayr Utd.(pic below of action at Thomson Park) Lochee lost the replay 3-1, with Paul Blackwood scoring the goal of the game and captain Charlie Cargill was sent off. Fantastic 300+ travelling support went through for the game.

Finishing fourth bottom of the SuperLeague, missing relegation by 3 points, Lochee United finished off the 2008/9 season creating history along the way, winning the East Of Scotland Cup, defeating Glenrothes in the final 3-0 and thus becoming the first Junior side from the Tayside area to win the trophy in all its history of winners.

Season 2009/10 brought no silverware sucess for Lochee United, though reaching the semi-final of the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup was the highlight of the season. Lochee lost to rivals Linlithgow Rose 4-2 on aggregate over a two-legged tie. Lochee managed to finish as high as 5th in the SuperLeague securing 32 points from 22 games.

It was the end of this season that Lochee United lost their manager, Ray McKinnon, having resigned from the club after four years as manager and previous years as a player and taking up a new job with the SFA as a Technical Developement Officer. Another former Lochee player and top professional like Ray Mckinnon in Paul Ritchie was appointed the new manager for the 2010/11 season.

Paul guided Lochee United to fifth position, seven points off the top spot, in his first season as manager. In the same season Lochee saw two great servents to the club leave and sign for other clubs, goalkeeper Iain Ross and midfielder Phil Hagan. Also, Lochee midfielder Craig Robertson(pic below) completed his boyhood dream when Lochee loaned him out as Dundee FC signed him as a trialist for three games during their administration period.

Season 2011/12 brought early silverware for Lochee in the way of the DJ Laing Cup. After topping the group stages and defeating Broughty Athletic in the semi-finals, Lochee faced SuperLeague rivals Carnoustie in the final. A single goal settled the game, with Jayson Alexander being the hero in the 1-0 win at North End Park. That goal ended a two year drought of trophies at Thomson Park.

Season 2013/14  has brought a new era to Thomson Park as departing manager Paul Ritchie was replaced by ex player, Steven Leahy within the home dugout. Although Steven has never managed before, he brings a vast experience with him as he has been working full time as a youth academy coach at Dundee United FC. Having Lee Wilkie as Assistant manager will surely only be a good boost for Leahy and the club.

In Leahy's first season within the Thomson Park dugout, there was more silverware for the club in the form of the G.A Cup, beating Luncarty Juniors on penalties in the final at Tannadice Park.  At the end of the 2013/14 Season, Lee Wilkie departed for senior club, Montrose FC thus leaving the assistant managers post vacant, which was offered and accepted by Lochee United hero and stalwart, Charlie Cargill. 

Season 14/15 was a difficult year for the club anything that could go wrong did. Key players were lost for long periods throughout the season due to injury. Games were often lost in the last few minutes which had a major effect on our league position. Despite battling hard we lost our Super League place and were relegated to the Premier diivision. The club also exited all cup competitions in the early rounds which made the season even harder than it was.

The manager was given the dreaded vote of confidence and was tasked with getting the club back to  where it belonged the East Region Super League at the first attemp.

Season 15/16 turned out to be a good one with manager Leahy recruiting some excellent players to add to the long established experienced players who had won major honours over the previous ten seasons for the club. Although we finished third this gave us the play off spot where we met Sauchie Juniors who had finished third bottom of the Super League. We played them home and away winning 5-0 in each match to successfully return to the Super League for season 16/17 The GA Cup was also won at Tannadice Park where we turned in a dominating performance against Jeanfield Swifts. 

After the low's of the previous season it was good to see the team winning again and a lot of thanks go to the manager Stevie Leahy who worked harder than anyone at the club. However things were about to change when the Gaffer informed the club he had been offered a new fulltime position at Dundee United by former Lochee United manager Ray McKinnon and now manager at Dundee United. This was a step up for Stevie and one he couldn't turn down.

So season 16/17 was days away and the club were managerless. However after a wee discussion, George Shields was invited to meet with the club to discuss taking up the vacant position of manager. It was with great delight he accepted and without wasting anytime he swung into action. First decision was to bring in Raymond Farningham (Jinky) ex Dundee FC assistant manager, coach and player a very well known and respected person within Scottish Football. Lee Wilkie also returned and George retained the services of Roddy McLeod from the previous management team. A new physio was introduced, Donald Ritchie who spent most of his career at Forfar Athletic and working with the Scotland Youth set up. George made a couple of really good signings bringing two expericed player in the shape of Dougie Cameron and Paul Lunan who added that wee bit extra to the squad. In what was a good first season back in the Super League we finished in equal fourth position but with a wee bit of luck it could have been higher.

Season 17/18 provided the supporters with a fantastic Scottish Junior Cup run getting to the semi finals before losing 2-1 to Auchinleck Talbot over two games. The first of those games saw Lochee winning away at Talbot 1-0 which was the first semi final Talbot had lost at home. Our victors went on to win the cup. We finished in sixth position in the league which should have been higher but a reaction from losing the semi final where I must admit everyone at the club was devasted. We now look forward to the new season and I know we have a couple of quality players coming in which will add to our already strong squad.