18th March 2018 Beith 1 Lochee United 4

Lochee United turned in another professional performance winning this Scottish Junior Cup 1/4 final in style. Despite going 1-0 down after 4 minutes when Greg Kirk was adjudged to have handled the ball and a penalty awarded Lochee soon took control of the game and it was fitting when Connor Birse squared the match with a quality goal. After holding off a strong challenge he struck the ball across the face of the goal giving Grindlay no chance to make it 1-1

The rest of the first half was end to end with Beith probably still wondering why they didn't get a second goal after a number of efforts were half cleared with the ball being knocked about in our 18 yard box. However Kirk eventually cleared the ball to take the pressure off. Haltime 1-1

Second half saw Lochee playing down the hill and putting the home side under pressure which paid off when Grant Lawson put Lochee in front with a quality finish into the corner of the Beith net after a good pass from Connor Birse. Scot McComiskie then turned provider for Birse when he out stripped the Beith defence the squared the ball to the in rushing Birse who calmly slotted the ball home through Grindlay's legs to give the Lochee a 3-1 lead.

With 10 minutes remaining Birse completed his hatrick and sent Lochee into the semi finals when he was played in by Stephen McNally to chip keeper Grindlay and secure the win.

The excitement was not over with Beith awarded a second penalty 2 minutes after our 4th goal. However big Fonzie dived to his right and made a fantastic save.

Overall a very good performance against a tough side on their home patch. Difficult to single out players as they all did their bit but young Craig Smith who was slotted into centre half was simply outstanding along with his partner Danny Millar. I could also mention the evergreen Dougie Cameron but on a special day with a special performance my Man of the Match goes to Connor Birse.

Well done management and players.

Written on 18 March 2018