Lochee United deservedly took the points against a Broxburn team undefeated since October and on a 14-game unbeaten run.

Manager George Shields rang the changes, with Jamie Reid and Logan Davie returning, and it was good to see Bryan Deasley and Paddy Deane making the bench after long spells out through injury.

The visitors started strongly, with Keiran Anderson firing in a fierce 30-yard free kick which warmed keeper Mark Fotheringham’s hands. From the corner Fonzie had to look lively again to tip an Alex Murray effort over the bar.

Lochee surged up the other end and both Reid and Davie had efforts which came to nothing.

It was a bright opening by both sides with Broxburn just shading it but it was Lochee who took the lead on 15 minutes. Stephen Mcnally crossed into the box and Grant LAWSON headed into the net from close range.

Lawson and Reid both had shots blocked as the Bluebells sought to increase their advantage and, from a Dougie Cameron corner, Danny Millar set up Paul Lunan who shot wide.

Five minutes before half time Davie went down injured and had to be replaced by Deasley and, a minute before the break, Broxburn equalised. Miller got himself to the byline and his pass across the face of goal was tapped in by Scott RICHARDS.

Reid had a chance to put the home side ahead on the whistle but he was off target.

As in the first half the visitors began the second period well and a fierce shot from Anderson went narrowly over Fonzie’s crossbar.

Lawson was giving Broxburn full back Andy Gillen a tough time down the left flank and his cutback for Connor Birse posed problems for keeper Connor Wallace, who gathered at the second attempt.

And it was Lawson who created the goal that put Lochee ahead on the hour mark. His cross found Birse who guided the ball into the path of DEASLEY who found the far corner with his low drive.

The Thomson Park side were in control now, though the lead was a slender one, but you could feel the game slipping away from a team unbeaten since crashing out of the Junior Cup 5-2 to Lochee victims Irvine Meadow way back in October.

After some pinball in the Broxburn box Birse shot wide and a Lawson free kick was tipped round the post by Wallace.

In response the visitors replied with an Anderson effort that went wide.

Birse had a great chance to wrap things up when he was through but he failed to lift the ball over the advancing keeper.

However, he made amends in the dying minutes when his cross from the left was headed home by DEASLEY to give the hosts an impressive victory.

Every player in blue played their part and it was heartening to see Deasley back with two goals, but MOM for me was Grant Lawson.

FT: Lochee United 3 Broxburn Athletic 1

Lochee Utd: Fotheringham, Mcnally, Millar, Lunan, Webster, Cameron, Kirk, Lawson, Davie (Deasley 40), Birse, Reid. Subs not used: Stewart, McMahon, McComiskie, Deane.

Broxburn Ath: Wallace, Gillen, Donaldson, Gavin, Townsley, Linton, Murray, Richards, Miller, Scott, Anderson (Valentine 80).

Written on 31 March 2018