After three successive home defeats it was back to winning ways for the Bluebells against bottom of the table Forfar West End, but, a game that looked to be all over bar the shouting early in the second half, proved to be nothing of the sort as the Angus men mounted a brave fightback.

Former Lochee player Jamie Montgomery had two efforts on goal in the opening three minutes but both failed to trouble Mark Fotheringham in the home goal.

And, 11 minutes in, Lochee took the lead. A Dougie Cameron corner kick found Greg KIRK in the six-yard box who coolly knocked the ball home.

The Thomson Park side were well in control and Scott McComiskie was unlucky to see his overhead kick tipped over the bar by Forfar keeper Daryl Burns.

The home side doubled their lead on 22 minutes. Kirk was causing problems with his aerial ability in the visitors box and his header across goal found Danny MILLAR at the back post and the defender’s header gave Burns no chance.

There was a moment of controversy when Cameron’s quickly taken free kick cannoned off West End striker Graeme Hart who was standing only a yard away, but the referee allowed play to continue as Hart burst through on goal. Fortunately for Lochee the big front man blazed his shot wide of the target.

Kirk again won a header inside the Forfar box, this time from a Logan Davie corner, but the third goal wouldn’t come.

There was another controversial moment 10 minutes before the break when the ref decided that Grant Lawson’s tackle on Callum Petrie merited a penalty kick, but, after consulting with his assistant, rightly changed his decision and awarded a drop ball.

Lochee looked to have wrapped up the points 10 minutes into the second half when Burns could only parry McComiskie’s shot and DAVIE followed up to stab the ball into the net.

Four minutes later Forfar were right back in the game with two goals in under two minutes. Firstly, West End manager Daryl McKENZIE rose highest to a Marc Percy free kick to head the ball past Fonzy, then the keeper failed to deal with a passback, hitting the ball off HART, leaving the striker to roll it into the empty net.

So, a game that looked to be done and dusted now had Lochee nerves on edge as West End sensed they might get something out of this game.

McComiskie almost increased Lochee’s lead with a curling shot that just went wide of the left hand post.

There was a spate of bookings as the game became a bit more tousy, Lochee’s Davie and Millar going into the book, along with former Bluebell Montgomery.

Paul Lunan picked up a knock and was replaced by Paddy Deane, who almost had an immediate impact. The striker combined with Bryan Deasley to set up McComiskie for a shot that grazed the top of the bar.

On 70 minutes Reece Ritchie replaced Davie and this substitution was to have a calming effect on the Bluebells as Ritchie put his stamp on the game. In fact, he should have scored just three minutes after coming on when he was put through by Deane, but he somehow sent his shot wide.

The Thomson Park side appeared to have weathered the storm and Deasley had an effort well saved by Burns.

There was still time for Stephen McNally to pick up a yellow card for a foul on Forfar’s Petrie, who had to replaced almost immediately.

At the other end McComiskie’s luck was out again as his shot found the side netting. To complete his night he also found his way into the ref’s book.

In the dying seconds the Angus side sent on Callum Walls for Mark Ogg and they were awarded a free kick 25 yards out. Unfortunately for them Robbie George sent his kick high and wide and their last chance of salvaging anything from the game was gone.

FT: Lochee United 3 Forfar West End 2

Lochee United: Fotheringham, McNally, Millar, Smith, Lunan (Deane 67), Kirk, Cameron, Davie (Ritchie 70), McComiskie, Lawson, Deasley. Subs not used: Stewart, Birse, Reid.

Forfar West End: Burns, Stephen, D Robertson, George, McKenzie, G Robertson, Percy, Ogg (C Walls 89), Hart, Montgomery, Petrie (Reynolds 85).

Written on 30 April 2018