Lochee United got their Super League campaign off to a flying start with a comprehensive win over Whitburn Juniors.

The home side began briskly with Stephen McNally’s fierce drive across the face of the goalmouth and Scott McComiskie’s shot which squirmed under goalkeeper Daniel Russell’s body. However, the keeper recovered to scoop the ball off the line.

The visitors suffered a blow when full back Ian Griffin had to be substituted by Ross Gunn after only nine minutes and they conceded the opener just a minute later when Garry KENNETH powered home a header from a Dougie Cameron corner.

A passing move involving Grant Lawson, McComiskie and Scott Webster ended with Reece Ritchie heading just over the Whitburn bar.

Webster then had a go himself and Russell partially blocked the shot with his face, leading to his requiring treatment for a bloody nose.

On 18 minutes Whitburn equalised. Despite Lochee claims for offside, Reece Duncan made ground down the left and squared for Darren LIDDELL to tap home.

There was another lengthy stoppage for further treatment to Russell and, when hostilities resumed, John Henderson fired in a shot that Lenny Ewing in the Lochee goal had to turn away for a corner.

Two goals in the space of a couple of minutes around the half hour mark tipped the result in the Bluebells’ favour. Firstly, some trickery by Lawson in the Whitburn box saw his shot cleared off the line by Reece Boyle, only for RITCHIE to step forward and send the ball into the net.

Then it was LAWSON’s turn to get on the scoresheet as he shimmied past a defender and passed the ball into the corner.

With Webster attacking down one wing and Lawson the other the Whitburn defence was having a hard time of it and they were breached again on 39 minutes when, after good work by Lawson, McCOMISKIE added to the scoreline.

Two minutes before the half time whistle, some terrific interplay involving Webster, McComiskie and  Webster again, saw LAWSON grab his second of the game.

The second half proved disappointing in terms of chances created and goals scored but was more competitive, with Whitburn making more of a fist of things.

Lochee started on the front foot again and, in the opening five minutes McComiskie had a shot deflected for a corner.

The Bluebells’ trialist midfielder had given a quiet, but classy, performance, but made way for another trialist on 68 minutes.

Five minutes later McComiskie had the ball in the net but was ruled offside.

On 74 minutes Ritchie was replaced by another trialist.

Ten minutes before the end Lochee made it six. The second substitute trialist sent over a corner kick that was met beautifully by the head of KENNETH for his second of the afternoon.

The same trialist almost made it seven when he scooped the ball over keeper Russell only to see it scrambled away, though only as far as Webster, whose shot was blocked on the line by Seb Tinning.

There were late bookings for McNally and McComiskie and Lawson hit the post as the Bluebells ran out comfortable winners.

FT: Lochee United 6 Whitburn 1

Lochee United: Ewing, McNally, Smith, Kenneth, Kirk, Webster, Trialist (Trialist 68), Lawson, Cameron, Ritchie (Trialist 74), McComiskie.

Whitburn: Russell, Griffin (Gunn 9), Tinning, Forrest, Boyle, Dunn, Doherty, Henderson, Docherty, Liddell, Duncan.

Written on 04 August 2018