Lochee United arrived at the picturesque Westfield Park with almost a full squad to choose from and included new signing James Thomson on the bench. The home team had a couple of former Bluebells in their ranks, notably Ross Browne and Ross Grant, no doubt keen to impress against their old side.

But it was the visitors who applied the early pressure with a series of corner kicks and it was from one of them that the opening goal came on six minutes, Dougie Cameron’s corner being headed home by Greg KIRK.

Another Kirk header was tipped over the bar by keeper Sean Diamond but he was beaten again on nine minutes when Scott McCOMISKIE’s glancing header from Cameron’s corner flew into the net.

The Jags were struggling to mount a serious threat to the Lochee goal and they conceded a third on 17 minutes. Stephen McNally played the ball infield to Cameron whose lob from 25 yards came back off the bar and landed at the feet of Grant LAWSON, who blasted it into the net from close range.

There was a moment of danger for Lochee keeper Lenny Ewing when Kirrie’s Darren Scott sent a dangerous ball across the face of his goal but the danger was cleared.

McComiskie then hit the bar from the angle of the box as the home team struggled to cope with the movement and accurate passing of the visitors.

Their front pairing of Scott and Dale Reid were working hard to create something but often found themselves with little support against a well organised Lochee defence.

The action was soon at the other end and Diamond pulled of a very good save from McComiskie.

Then came the goal of the game on 33 minutes. A Danny Millar crossfield pass was picked up by Kirk to Bryan Deasley. The striker found Lawson who played it back to Kirk and his cross was superbly headed past the keeper by DEASLEY.

There was a valid Lochee claim for a penalty when Deasley was barged in the box by Browne but the referee played on and, when Kirrie had a similar claim minutes later when Garry Kenneth upended Ryan Kerrigan, the ref had no option but to dismiss that claim too.

Two minutes before half time the Bluebells made it five, McNally cutting the ball back to McComiskie who blasted it through the keeper’s legs.

Thistle might have been determined to come out fighting in the second half but, instead found themselves a further goal behind when LAWSON took advantage of a defensive mix-up to score.

The visitors suffered a blow when McComiskie went down injured after a clash with Diamond and the striker had to be replaced by Connor Birse.

Lochee’s intensity went out of the game for a spell and allowed Kirriemuir to gain some territorial advantage and Danny Ross came close with a header that went just wide.

On 67 minutes manager George Shields brought on Thomson and Jamie Reid for Kenneth and Keiran McWalter and two minutes later they went further ahead. Deasley was tripped in the box by Kerrigan and CAMERON stepped up to blast the penalty into the net.

With 12 minutes left Cameron combined with Deasley whose shot looked destined to cross the line but LAWSON stepped in to make sure and claim his hat trick.

The home side’s first direct shot at Ewing came in the 90thminute from a free kick by Scott, but Lochee had another couple of efforts to add to their tally but were denied by good goalkeeping by Diamond.

Kirriemuir Thistle 0 Lochee United 8

Kirrie Thistle: Diamond, McVicar (Cormack 65), McKenna, Browne, Grant, Farquharson, Kerrigan (Beith 87), Kettles, Reid, Bews (Ross 46), Scott.

Lochee Utd: Ewing, McNally, Kirk, Millar, Kenneth (Thomson 67), Smith, Lawson, Cameron, McWalter (Reid 67), McComiskie (Birse 52), Deasley.

Written on 25 August 2018