Broughty Athletic 0 Lochee United 2

As a spectacle this wasn’t anywhere close to the opening of Dundee’s new V&A. In fact it was Very Average, with Very little Action, particularly in the first half.

With both teams sitting on maximum points at the top of the table you might have expected this to be a rip-roaring affair, with numerous chances at both ends, but that was far from the case.

The Bluebells did eventually take all three points, courtesy of two second half goals, their reward for taking control of the game and limiting the home side to a single shot on target.

Broughty started the brighter, with Marc Scott’s ball cut out by Garry Kenneth for a corner which was eventually cleared by Greg Kirk.

Play was bogged down in midfield and it was 15 minutes before Grant Lawson picked out Kirk whose effort was headed clear by Adam Harwood.

Lochee’s best chance came on 23 minutes when Connor Birse found Lawson in the box and he got the better of Graham Hay before the danger was cleared by the home defence.

Lenny Ewing’s first taste of the action came four minutes later when he smothered a Kevin Milne effort but the game limped to half time with only a couple of bookings for Lochee’s Dougie Cameron and Stephen McNally to take note of.

The second half started better for the visitors with a goal after just seven minutes. Jamie Reid dispossessed former Bluebell Hay and sent LAWSON through. The midfielder rounded keeper Iain Ross and tucked the ball away.

The first goal was always going to be crucial in a game like this and so it proved as the Thomson Park side gradually gained control. Logan Davie, who was so influential coming off the bench in last week’s win over Downfield, came on for Keiran McWalter on 55 minutes.

Birse had a shot tipped over the bar and Lawson had an effort that zipped across the face of the Broughty goalmouth.

There was a lengthy injury time out for Broughty’s Marc Scott when he clashed with Ewing but he was able to carry on.

The home side were battling away but not making much of an impression on the Lochee defence and the nearest they came was when Kenneth backheaded the ball to Ewing who held it at the second attempt.

With eight minutes left of normal time the Bluebells tied up the points when Kirk took advantage of slackness in the home defence to knock the ball across the goalline where Danny MILLAR was on hand to tap it into the net.

As Broughty pushed forward to try to salvage something from the game Lochee found gaps at the back but failed to exploit them.

In the dying minutes a Paul McLellan free kick was tipped over the bar by Ewing, his first real save of the game.

Broughty Ath: Ross, McNaughton (F Smith 70), Blair, McCunnie, Harwood, Hay, McLellan, S Smith, Milne, Kesson, Scott (Clark 82).

Lochee United: Ewing, McNally, Kenneth, Millar, Thomson, Kirk, Cameron, McWalter (Davie 55), Lawson, Reid, Birse.

Written on 15 September 2018