Lochee United 6 Dalry Thistle 2

After an early shock, losing a soft goal after only six minutes, Lochee recovered to ultimately cruise into the next round of the Macron Scottish Junior Cup.

The hosts were shocked when a shot from Dalry’s Lewis GARDINER was spilled into the net by keeper Lenny Ewing, but they hit back five minutes later when Garry Kenneth sent a long ball forward to Logan Davie, who played in Jamie Reid. Jamie’s effort was blocked by keeper Blair Lochhead but Connor BIRSE was on hand to knock the ball home.

The Ayrshire side came close to taking the lead again on the quarter hour mark when a free kick from Mark Archdeacon was headed over the bar by Jordan Stuart.

Birse had a decent chance but hit his shot straight at the keeper and Reece Ritchie looked certain to score until Lochhead got an outstretched leg to the ball to divert it for a corner.

The strong wind was making good football difficult and the game settled into a bit of a stalemate. There was an amazing stramash in the home goal before Lochee managed to clear the danger.

Right on the stroke of half time Lochee took the lead. There was a piece of good fortune when a ball rebounded off the back of Thistle defender Chris McGowan and was picked up by Scott McComiskie. He played it to Birse who squared it for REID to slam home.

With the wind at their backs in the second half Dalry were expected to come out all guns blazing but it was the Bluebells who threatened first when Birse burst up the wing and found Grant Lawson who laid it back for Reid who hit his effort over the bar.

The game could have gone either way at this stage but it all turned on its head within a couple of minutes thanks to two penalty decisions.

On 62 minutes Ewing was penalised for bringing down Stuart in the box but the linesman’s flag was up for offside. Then, at the other end, Birse was upended in the visitors’ box. This time the penalty was given and Dougie CAMERON made no mistake to make it 3-1.

A minute later the game was all but over when BIRSE pounced on a McComiskie rebound to score.

On 71 minutes REID picked up a James Thomson throw in and gave Lochhead no chance from 10 yards out.

But Dalry weren’t finished yet and hit back when substitute Kyle CUMMING, who had only been on the pitch for a couple of minutes, ran on to a through ball from fellow sub Dylan Stevenson to give Ewing no chance.

The scorer than had another opportunity but his shot was deflected past for a corner.

With eight minutes to go Lochee rounded off the scoring. Lawson played the ball out to Birse who retuned it for LAWSON to grab Lochee’s sixth.

Lochee United: Ewing, Thomson, Kenneth, Kirk, Davie, Ritchie, Cameron, Lawson, McComiskie, Birse, Reid.

Dalry Thistle: B Lochhead, Simpson, K Lochhead, Kirkwood, McGowan, Hannah, Oliver (Stevenson 70), Gardiner, Cashmore (Browning 85), Archdeacon, Stuart (Cumming 75).

Written on 29 September 2018