Lochee United 5 Scone Thistle 0

Manager George Shields had an easy job selecting his Lochee side for this Signature Signs home clash against Scone Thistle, with only 13 players available to him.

But it was still a pretty strong 11 that he was able to send out against the Perthshire outfit as they proved by coasting to an eventual five-goal victory.

There were early chances for the Bluebells for Connor Birse and Scott McComiskie but the Jaggies almost got the opener when Calum Kinnear saw his shot rebound off Mark Stewart’s left hand post with the keeper beaten.

The home side opened the scoring on 16 minutes when Grant LAWSON’s shot from the edge of the penalty box took a deflection and sent Scone keeper Josh Gorton the wrong way.

Seven minutes later it was 2-0 with this one being the best of the afternoon. Great credit goes to Greg Kirk who won the ball in midfield before surging forward and chipping the ball to BIRSE who knocked the ball into the net with the outside of his boot.

The visitors didn’t let theses setbacks get to them and were playing some nice football, with tricky forwards Kinnear and 16-year-old Aaron Carlon keeping the Lochee defence on their toes.

They almost pulled one back through Kevin Sinclair but Garry Kenneth was on hand to clear off the line.

Two up at half time but the next goal was going to be all important as Scone weren’t totally out of the game.

However, Lochee came out determined to build on their lead and twice Lawson sent shots over the Scone bar.

Birse was next to see his shot saved by Gorton and Scott Webster got in on the act with a great run and shot which was blocked by the Thistle defence. That led to a corner that Kenneth headed wide.

Stephen McNally was booked for dissent as frustration at not being able to kill off Scone intensified.

The Jaggies hit back and Kinnear fired over the bar and Sinclair saw his free kick well saved by Stewart.

On 75 minutes Dougie Cameron, who was immense in midfield for the Bluebells, had his free kick parried for a corner and when the ball came over Scone’s Ross Wilson almost put the ball into his own net.

A minute later, though, the result was put beyond any doubt. A Jamie Reid corner was met by the head of KENNETH who bulleted the ball home.

Manager Shields then brought on his only outfield sub, Alan Tulleth, for Webster.

With 10 minutes left, Lochee made it 4-0, this time McCOMISKIE getting on the end of a superb McNally ball over the top of the defence and sliding the ball home.

Three minutes later the scoring was rounded off by BIRSE who, from the goalline, backheeled Reid’s corner kick into the Scone net.

Lochee United: Stewart, Thomson, Kenneth, Kirk, Webster (Tulleth 77), Reid, Cameron, Lawson, McNally, Birse, McComiskie.

Scone Thistle: Gorton, Mackie, Wilson, Whitworth, Macdonald, McKenzie, Gray, Mitchell, Sinclair, Carlon, Kinnear.

Written on 13 October 2018