Carluke Rovers 1 Lochee United 3

Lochee United negotiated a tricky hurdle to move into the last 16 of the Macron Scottish Junior Cup at the expense of home side Carluke Rovers.

This was far from the best performance of the season from the Thomson Park side but conditions were difficult and the pitch didn’t seem in the best nick so to come away with a 3-1 win was an excellent result.

The first half was pretty dire but things improved in the second half, even if the weather didn’t and all the goals came in the second period.

The Bluebells started brightly enough with Craig Smith just failing to connect with a Scott Webster cross in the opening minutes and a Dougie Cameron corner kick being cleared from under the Carluke crossbar.

But it was at the other end that the first goal looked like coming. Keeper Mark Stewart pulled off a great save when a slip by Stephen McNally allowed Eddie Haley in on goal.

The home side might also have taken the lead on 10 minutes when they worked a clever free kick, Sam Biggart bringing out a superb save from Stewart.

Webster and Cameron both had efforts easily saved by home keeper Dave Cherrie but the game had developed into a bit of a stalemate and it was hard to see where a goal was going to come from.

Rovers’ Greg Kane picked up a booking which was to come back to haunt him later, but from Lochee’s point of view they were going to have to do without Smith who had been injured earlier, Logan Davie coming on as sub.

Just before he went off Smudger carved out a chance for Grant Lawson but Cherrie made a fine save to keep the scores level.

Four minutes into the second half Lochee took the lead. Reece RITCHIE picked up a rebound and, from the edge of the box, calmly picked his spot into the net.

A few minutes later Carluke suffered another blow with Kane picking up a second yellow then a red card for tripping Webster.

The visitors made them pay with a second goal on 57 minutes. A Cameron corner from the left was glanced into the net by the head of Greg KIRK.

If Lochee thought they were on easy street now, two up against 10 men, they were brought back down to earth on 69 minutes.

Rovers striker Eddie Haley beat Garry Kenneth in a race into the Lochee box and the big centre half brought him down. HALEY took the kick himself and, although Tank got a touch he couldn’t stop it going into the net.

Carluke began to believe they might salvage the game, but Lochee came closest to scoring with headers from Kenneth and Connor Birse.

A Kirk through ball found Lawson who squared it for Birse who looked certain to score but Cherrie brought off a great save. The ball fell to Davie who could only send his shot across the face of goal. With three minutes of normal time left the Bluebells wrapped things up, LAWSON bursting through and rounding the keeper.

With a couple of minutes left Jamie Reid came on for Birse.

Carluke Rovers: Cherrie, McAllister, Biggart, Watson, Cassidy, Weir, Grierson, Kane, Lafferty (Chiedou 46), Haley, McDonald.

Lochee United: Stewart, Webster, Thomson, Kenneth, Kirk, McNally, Cameron, Ritchie, Lawson, Birse (Reid 87), Smith (Davie 45).

Written on 24 November 2018