Kirriemuir Thistle 0 Lochee United 6

An injury-ravaged Kirrie Thistle side were no match for Lochee United in this Thorntons Property League Cup match at Westview Park.

Captain Greg Kirk helped himself to a hat-trick of headers as the Bluebells cruised to victory.

It took 10 minutes for the first Lochee goal to come along, a Danny Cavanagh corner kick being helped on by Jamie Reid to Grant LAWSON at the back post and the midfielder had a simple tap-in.

Reid and Cavanagh were causing lots of problems down the flanks for Kirrie and the visitors ran up a fair tally of corner kicks as they piled on the pressure.

From another corner they went further ahead on 27 minutes. Reid’s corner kick was cleared only as far as Lawson who chipped the ball back in for KIRK to rise highest and head home.

Four minutes later KIRK struck again, getting his head to another Reid corner kick.

The home side were given a glimmer of hope when Garry Kenneth and keeper Jordan Millar got into a mix-up, leaving Dale Reid with an open goal, but the angle was too tight and the striker sent his effort wide.

Although the Kirrie attacks were few and far between, they did carve out another chance 12 minutes into the second half when Reid found Ryan Cormack in space in the Lochee box but keeper Millar managed to divert the ball past for a corner.

Lochee forced corner after corner as they increased the pressure and, on 65 minutes, when keeper Macallan Whyte mistimed a cross, CAVANAGH made him pay with a neat chip from the edge of the box.

With 15 minutes left a Dougie Cameron corner saw KIRK once again get his head to the ball for his hat-trick.

In the dying minutes sub Kevin BUCHAN also got in on the act, heading home a Lawson cross.

  Kirriemuir Thistle: Whyte, R Kerrigan, O Kerrigan, Morrice, C Kettles, Fairweather, Phillips, Cormack, Reid, McVicar, Scott.

Lochee United: J Millar, McWalter, Kenneth, Kirk, McNally, Cameron, Ritchie (Davie 61), Lawson, Cavanagh, Reid (Deasley 69), Birse (Buchan 69).

Written on 22 April 2019