Lochee United 2 Carnoustie Panmure 5

Carnoustie gained revenge for Saturday’s league defeat with this East Region Cup victory at Thomson Park.

For Lochee United it was an extremely bad day at the office, for, having not conceded in the previous five games, they lost five goals, as well as having two men ordered off, along with assistant manager Ray Farningham.

They also lost skipper Greg Kirk to what looked like a nasty injury.

In the sixth minute Carnoustie were awarded a penalty against Kieran McWalter. It looked extremely harsh as the ball was belted at him from close range, but Sam SIMPSON wasn’t concerned about that as he just squeezed the ball in at the post just out of the reach of keeper Jordan Millar.

Lochee weren’t behind for long though, Reece RITCHIE driving the ball home from around 12 yards out.

Number 13 was an unlucky one for the home side when they claimed the ball had been handled before Ryan Dignan’s cross fell kindly for ex-Bluebell Pat MARTIN to stab home from close range.

They could have fallen further behind two minutes later but Ryan Roche’s effort was turned round the post by Millar.

Connor Birse had the chance to put Lochee level on 20 minutes but his flick just went by the wrong side of the post.

There was calamity for the home side on 38 minutes when keeper Millar totally misjudged a passback and, as the ball rolled towards the empty net, DIGNAN followed up to slam it home.

Bluebells boss George Shields introduced Bryan Deasley and Logan Davie for Birse and Ross McDonald at half time as Lochee pressed the visitors back, but they were shocked on 54 minutes when McWalter upended Martin in the box and Carnoustie were awarded their second penalty of the game. To rub salt into the wound the Lochee midfielder picked up his second caution and was sent off.

As he did the first time SIMPSON made no mistake from the spot.

The Thomson Park side plugged away but were rocked again when skipper Kirk was injured as he challenged for a ball in the Gowfers’ box and he was forced to hobble off.

It was almost five minutes before Lochee introduced sub Jamie Reid so they carried on with only nine men.

And they were soon down to nine officially as Deasley complained too bitterly about a disallowed penalty claim and he too picked up a second yellow and was sent off.

That wasn’t the end of it though, and Bluebells assistant boss Farningham was also ordered back to the changing room.

Taking advantage of their numerical superiority, left back Michael CRUICKSHANK raced upfield and got his head to a Jamie Winter cross to make it five in the closing minutes.

There was still time for Lochee to respond and, in injury time RITCHIE scored his second of the game with a fine drive from outside the box.

Lochee United: J Millar, McNally, Kenneth, Kirk (Reid 75), McDonald (Davie 46), McWalter, Cameron, Ritchie, Cavanagh, Lawson, Birse (Deasley 46).

Carnoustie Panmure: Robbie, Hearn, Cruickshank, Steel, Roche, Dailly, McPhee, Winter, Dignan, Martin (McCabe 64), Simpson (Sievwright 88).

Written on 01 May 2019