Lochee United 2 Carnoustie Panmure 1

Lochee United took a giant step towards the East Superleague title with this scrappy and occasionally bad tempered, win over Angus rivals Carnoustie.

The home side were without defensive stalwarts Greg Kirk and Garry Kenneth and had to draft vice captain Dougie Cameron into defence.

They took the lead on nine minutes with a well worked goal that owed a lot to the persistence of Reece Ritchie. The midfielder battled hard for possession and fed Danny Cavanagh, who, in turn, found Cameron and Cameron’s cross was deftly flicked into the corner of the net by the head of Connor BIRSE.

The lead didn’t last long, however, precisely three minutes. The Lochee defence stood off Gordon McDONALD who arrowed his shot from the angle of the box and into the net past a surprised Mark Fotheringham in the home goal.

Five minutes later, it looked like the Thomson Park side were going to retake the lead when Bryan Deasley passed to Ritchie who could only manage to guide his effort across the face of Jamie Robbie’s goal.

Lochee were hit with another injury to add to their long list when Deasley had to go off to be replaced by Jamie Reid.

Carnoustie were also dealt an injury blow when Bruce Hearn was unable to come out for the second half, being replaced by Jake Mair.

Petty fouls and some inconsistent refereeing meant the quality of the game stagnated for a bit although both sides enjoyed periods of domination without really troubling either goalkeeper.

Good work by Scott McComiskie and the hard-working Danny Cavanagh gave Birse a chance, but Robbie went down at his feet to save the day.

The Bluebells were on top at this stage and Cavanagh fired in a free kick that went just wide.

Birse and Cavanagh carved out another chance for the home side but again Robbie was bravely down at the feet of Cavanagh to keep his side level.

If Lochee were denied the winner at that end, Carnoustie almost grabbed it at the other a minute later, a Ryan Dignan effort being tipped over the bar by Fotheringham.

With six minutes to go Lochee grabbed the winner in controversial circumstances. A ball into the box saw goalkeeper Robbie apparently flatten one of his own players, centre half Ryan Roche. With the Gowfers screaming for the game to be halted owing to a head knock, the ball was bundled home by Scott McCOMISKIE.

The visitors protested loudly but the referee was having none of it and the goal stood.

So Lochee march on and three points next week against Thornton Hibs would give them one hand on the title.

Lochee United: Fotheringham, McWalter, McNally, D Millar, Cameron (McDonald 70), McComiskie, Ritchie, Cavanagh, Lawson, Birse, Deasley (Reid 21).

Carnoustie Panmure: Robbie, Hearn (Mair 46), Cruickshank, Steel, Roche (Sievwright 85), Dailly, McDonald (Conway 74), Scott, Dignan, McPhee, Simpson.

Written on 11 May 2019