Lochee United 2 Broughty Athletic 2

Lochee United finished the season unbeaten in the league as The Fed became only the second team to take points off the Thomson Park side this season.

An unfamiliar looking Broughty side applauded their opponents onto the field but the niceties stopped there as the league runners-up looked to be the first to topple the Bluebells.

As early as the second minute Lochee keeper Mark Fotheringham had to save from Bradley Smith and he had Greg Kirk to thank for keeping his goal intact when Kirky blocked a close-in shot from Billy Young.

The visitors took the lead against a lacklustre home side on 17 minutes. Stephen McNally put team mate Scott Webster under pressure with a poor pass and he was robbed by Marc SCOTT. The Broughty striker raced down the touchline and found the net from a difficult angle.

Lochee replied with a Scott McComiskie header which was cleared off the line by Jamie McCunnie but they equalised on the half hour mark.

Ross McDonald made ground up the left and sent in a terrific cross with the outside of his left boot to McCOMISKIE who volleyed home.

Lochee went close again when a Danny Cavanagh free kick was punched away by Broughty keeper John Sinclair.

The home side started the second half in more determined fashion, with Cavanagh and McDonald combining well down the left.

A McNally free kick almost put Lochee ahead but Sinclair saved before the danger was cleared by Young.

The Bluebells took the lead in controversial fashion on 51 minutes when Cavanagh found BIRSE unmarked six yards out. With Broughty claiming offside the Lochee striker calmly slotted the ball into the net.

Lochee dominated for a spell after that with Reece Ritchie going close and a terrific move involving McComiskie and Cavanagh earning applause from the large crowd.

Logan Davie, Bryan Deasley and Jamie Reid were all brought on by the home side to see the game out, but it was the visitors who grabbed a late equaliser.

If Broughty thought they were hard done by for Lochee’s second goal, it was evened up by another controversial decision in added time.

Substitute Louis Appere seemed to foul Scott Webster on the edge of the box but was allowed to continue and cross into the penalty area for the inrushing Stewart McCONNACHIE to net from close range.

So ends a great league season for Lochee United but Broughty have one cup in the bag and are in the hunt for two more. They certainly look like a team to watch in future.

Lochee United: Fotheringham, Webster, Kirk, McNally, McDonald, Ritchie, McWalter, Lawson (Davie 85), Cavanagh (Reid 89), Birse (Deasley 88), McComiskie.

Broughty Athletic: Sinclair, McMillan (McCracken 46), Young (Appere 74), Warwick, Anderson, McCunnie, Coupar (Banyard 60), Smith, Farquhar, McConnachie, Scott.

Written on 27 May 2019