Lochee Harp 1 Lochee United 2

History was made today with the first match played at Lochee Harp’s impressive, as yet unnamed, new stadium, with local rivals Lochee United the visitors.

And it was the Bluebells’ Danny Cavanagh who bagged the honour of scoring the first goal at the new ground.

Before the game began the home club were presented with an inscribed glass plate by the Lochee United committee to mark the occasion but the goodwill ended there as the visitors swarmed towards the home goal in the opening stages, Grant Lawson bringing out a great save from Harp keeper, Darren Brown.

Danny Millar then headed over the bar from a Cavanagh corner and this just in the first five minutes of the game.

Harp then moved the ball up to the other end and Michael McBrearty hit the side netting with an angled shot.

Harp’s Brian Harris was showing up well down the Harp’s right hand side and Stephen McNally had to be on top form to contain the lively forward.

The home team were coming into the game a bit more but were rocked by the opening goal by CAVANAGH on 25 minutes. The midfielder cut inside onto his right foot and curled a beauty into the top corner from 20 yards, giving the goalkeeper no chance.

A super Scott McComiskie ball out to the right wing found George Johnston and his first time effort from distance just went past the post.

Brown did really well just after the half hour mark to dive at the feet of Lawson to prevent a second goal.

The Bluebells were looking for that second goal and Johnston came close with a cross into the box that came back off the face of the bar.

A couple of minutes before half time Johnston set up McComiskie who skied his effort over the bar from eight yards out.

The first half belonged to the visitors but Harp were still in the contest and the second period was a lot more even in terms of territory.

However, Lochee United still posed more of a threat in the opponents’ box and Kevin Buchan and Kevin Milne both just failed to reach a ball spilled by Harp’s sub keeper.

Callum McCleary went close for Harp with a shot that came back off the post but on 67 minutes the Bluebells went further ahead. Milne did a great job getting to the byline and crossing the ball and BUCHAN was there to get a touch which sent the ball spinning past the keeper and into the net.

Harp weren’t for giving up though and came close when McBrearty fired the ball across the face of goal with Ryan Hunt just failing to connect properly.

With 12 minutes left Harp reduced the deficit. Buchan fouled Harris in midfield but the ref played advantage and McCLEARY scored a spectacular 20 yarder past John Sinclair.

There was a final chance for the Thomson Park side when Lawson set up Buchan but the forward fired over the bar.

Lochee Harp: Brown (Mitchell 46), McVicar, McCabe, Kelly, Kidd, Harris, Dobbie (Mearns 55), Smith (Hunt 69), McBrearty, McCleary, Stewart (McCormack 55).

Lochee United: Gorton (Sinclair 46), Webster, Millar (Smith 46), Ballantyne (Kirk 46), McNally, Cavanagh, Ritchie (Buchan 46), Davie, McComiskie, Lawson, Johnston (Milne 46).

Written on 24 October 2020