Coupar Angus 0 Lochee United 11

Match report by Jim Davie

Lochee started the game well and Danny Cavanagh forced Andy Smith into a fine save after only four minutes. But for the first 10 minutes there was no indication of how the game would finish with Coupar’s Ruairidh Smith and Allan Cruickshank both firing wide of Josh Gorton’s goal.

However, a four-goal burst in seven minutes put the game outwith the Foxhall Park side’s reach.

First up was Grant LAWSON who raced on to a Stephen McNally through ball on 11 minutes. He beat the outrushing keeper and rolled the ball into the empty net.

Two minutes later George Johnston crossed for Kevin Buchan whose shot was saved by Smith, but, unfortunately for the keeper, the ball fell to LAWSON who drove home.

BUCHAN did get on the scoresheet on 15 minutes, following up when Greg Kirk’s header came back off the bar.

JOHNSTON’s pace was causing problems for the home side and he raced past his marker to get on the end of a superb Cavanagh pass to net on 17 minutes.

Lawson almost got his hat trick a minute later but Smith produced another fine save.

On 24 minutes it was five. Johnston played in Buchan whose shot cannoned off CATTANACH for an unfortunate own goal.

Four minutes later LAWSON grabbed his third and his side’s sixth when he took advantage of a great through ball from Ross Gallacher.

On 33 minutes Buchan and Cavanagh combined to set up JOHNSTON who scored from close in.

The home team kept their heads up, and Smith hit the side netting but it was the final minute of the first half before Gorton was tested by a long range shot from Owen Kerrigan.

The second half started with Coupar Angus pushing forward but they conceded a penalty on 55 minutes when LAWSON was brought down in the box, The Lochee player gave Smith no chance from the spot.

Three minutes later good play by Cavanagh set up LAWSON to tap home his fifth from close range.

Lawson was substituted on 63 minutes, thus depriving him of the opportunity of getting his double hat trick.

With 20 minutes left Lochee made it double figures. Logan Davie and Johnston set up Scott McComiskie whose shot was blocked but the ball fell to CAVANAGH who made no mistake.

A minute later Reece Ritchie came on for Gallacher who had been having a fine game, pulling the strings for the Bluebells in midfield.

Danny Millar almost got on the scoresheet with a header over the bar from a Cavanagh corner, but the final say went to McCOMISKIE who headed in a Ritchie cross with just two minutes left.

Coupar Angus: Smith, Cattanach, King, Higgins (Dott 62), Davidson, McCluskey (Henderson 75), Kerrigan, Fyfe, R Smith, Gemine, Cruickshank.

Lochee United: Gorton, Millar, Ballantyne, Kirk, McNally, Gallacher (Ritchie 71), McConville, Cavanagh, Johnston, Buchan (McComiskie 63), Lawson (Davie 63).

Written on 28 November 2020