Forfar United 0 Lochee United 3

Match report by Jim Davie

In the battle of the Uniteds it was Lochee who claimed the three points at Guthrie Park. The home side put up a spirited display but found the Thomson Park side just too strong.

The Bluebells started well and George Johnston played in Danny Cavanagh whose goalbound shot was deflected wide by a defender.

From the corner Garry Kenneth won two headers in the box and the ball fell to Cavanagh who this time saw his shot blocked on the line.

It was close to the 15-minute mark before the home side showed any attacking intent, Kieren Crighton forcing Josh Gorton into a fine save, parrying the ball round the post.

Three minutes later the Dundee side took the lead. Kenneth started the move by winning an aerial battle with former Bluebell Connor Birse. The ball came to Kevin Buchan and the striker released Grant LAWSON who gave Kyle Millar in the home goal no chance.

Buchan and Lawson had chances to put Lochee further ahead but these weren’t taken and the visitors survived a scare when Birse netted, only to have an offside decision given.

Five minutes before the break Lochee went two up. Forfar defender Cammy Howie challenged Buchan for a high ball but, unfortunately for the home man, he appeared to raise his hand and a penalty was awarded. Up stepped LAWSON who sent Millar the wrong way from the spot.

The second half saw the Guthrie Park goalposts play a significant part in the eventual scoreline. On 57 minutes Cavanagh rattled the post with the Forfar keeper well beaten. The homesters celebrated this let-off by going up the other end and winning a penalty when Danny Millar brought down Kyle Clark. However, Gorton brought off a superb save from Crighton to maintain the two-goal lead.

Forfar came close again 20 minutes from time when Kenneth’s back header eluded Gorton and substitute Louis Starkey saw his effort come back off the post.

The need for that third clinching goal was apparent as Forfar upped their game and, from a corner kick, Dean Fletcher headed against the Lochee post.

Just as with Cavanagh’s first half effort, the opposition celebrated that let-off by racing upfield and scoring their third. Ross Gallacher found substitute Kevin MILNE who gave Millar no chance with a searing 20-yard drive into the top corner.

Lochee brought on subs Josh McConville and Logan Davie for Gallacher and Ritchie and there was still time for McConville and Cavanagh to try their luck.

It was almost four in injury time when Kenneth, who had been immense in his first start of the season, saw his header blocked on the line.

This was another impressive performance from Lochee against a young, hard-working side who never stopped trying.

Forfar United: Millar, Stephen, Williams, Howie, Collie, Clark, Hely (Timmons 79), L Godfrey, Crighton (Starkey 69), Birse (Boath 85), Fletcher.

Lochee United: Gorton, Millar, Smith, Kenneth, McNally, Ritchie (McConville 80), Gallacher (Davie 80), Lawson, Johnston (Milne 73), Buchan, Cavanagh.

Written on 12 December 2020