Lochee United 3 Dundee North End 1

Match report by Jim Davie

Lochee United looked out of sorts at the start of this game with North End doing most of the attacking. A much changed Lochee backline looked ill at ease in dealing with the lively Dokens forwards.

Indeed, the visitors could have scored as early as the fifth minute when former Lochee player Jamie Montgomery burst through, but, just as he shaped to go round the keeper, skipper Greg Kirk got in a saving tackle.

North End continued to press and won a succession of corners that kept Josh Gorton in the home goal busy.

At the other end Kevin Milne played the ball out wide to Danny Cavanagh and his ball across the face of Neal Ferrie’s goal found no takers.

On the half hour mark Lochee were awarded a bizarre corner kick when Reece Ritchie’s shot came off the referee. but they were unable to make it count.

With two minutes to go before the break the Bluebells took the lead. Logan Davie went on a run and found CAVANAGH in the box and the midfielder coolly placed the ball beyond Ferrie and into the far corner.

Lochee were given an early Christmas present within 20 seconds of the restart. Josh McConville picked the ball up on the halfway line and pinged it high into the North End box. Ross JAMIESON got his head to it to try to cushion it back to his keeper but the ball evaded Ferrie and rolled into the net.

That changed the dynamic of the game and the home side began playing with confidence. On 67 minutes came the goal of the season so far. From 35 to 45 yards out, depending on who you talk to, Stephen McNALLY let fly with a thunderbolt that fairly flew past Ferrie. If you saw Charlie Adam’s goal for Dundee against Dunfermline then that gives you a fair idea of the quality of Macca’s strike.

A minute later manager Shields brought on Kevin Buchan and George Johnston for Milne and Ross Gallacher.

The Dokens showed they were still in there fighting and Gorton made a fine save from North End sub Craig Batchelor.

Davie almost made it four for the homesters on 84 minutes when his free kick was tipped onto the bar by the visiting keeper.

However, the last word went to Ross Lunan’s team when a ball across the face of the home goal was tapped in by BATCHELOR with three minutes to go.

This was a tough game for a Lochee United side that was slow to get out of the blocks, but it was a valuable three points in the end and no one can take away that memory of Stephen McNally’s thunderbolt.

Lochee Utd: Gorton, McConville, Smith, Kirk, McNally, Ritchie, Gallacher (Johnston 73), Lawson, Davie, Cavanagh, Milne (Buchan 73). Subs not used: Sinclair, Millar.

North End: Ferrie, Gibb, Rice, Jamieson, Smith, Allan, McCabe, Montgomery (Batchelor 55), Sutherland (Sturrock 87), Timmons, Devine. Subs not used: Stewart, Black, Lawrie.

Written on 19 December 2020